Powered By Blogger
The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in.

Sunday, July 10, 2011

RIP our dear friend Rocco

This is a really hard one to talk about but an expression of love that needs to be told. For over 10 years we have been dragging our Patrick down to the Elks to sit and watch while we cater food just to pay the most basic of bills; utilities and food never knowing if we will be able to make ends meet. Our wonderful Elk family has protected us financially and emotionally throughout our 14 year struggle and has never let us down. One specific Elk has been an emotional rock for me and Patrick; our favorite; our Rocco.
A mere month ago on 6/15/11 our beloved Rocco passed away after complications with respiratory infections and heart disease. Every weekend we needed to cater at the Elks our buddy Rocco would entertain us, help us, and make Patrick happy with his funny hair hat. My last conversation with him was asking him how to work the cash register at the Elks because I was alone at the club. I didn't know until he told me he was in the hospital. He laughed and told me my drink was on him and not to worry about it. I never thought this would be my last conversation with my buddy.
Patrick has been to a few funeral but always in his wheel chair and left in the back of the room when each of us went up to pay our respects. When I drove into the parking lot of the funeral home I told Patrick this time it was way too important and that this was about his buddy. We parked the car, we walked into the funeral parlor, and for those that do not know Patrick can not walk alone; he has no balance skills but is as strong as an ox. Patrick will only walk if we are holding his hand or arm.
Patrick literally dragged me in, walked directly to the casket and stopped, stayed there for a while, turned, walked to Rocco's wife Lorriane where we talked and then returned to the casket before we walked out.
Patrick got it! He knew his buddy was gone and he felt what the rest of us felt. Even though Patrick can not communicate or walk independently he knew his good friend was gone and he knew how to pay his respects like anyone else. We should all learn a lesson from this and try to understand our strenghts and shortcomings.
Though his physical functional skills are not there his emotional and comprehensive skills are. Never assume, never think that you understand better than someone with a disablity. They will always surprise you:)

2 comments: